Website AzuraConsulting Azura Consulting LLC
Offering 'big-city' resources with 'small-town' customer service
Azura is recruiting for an Environmental Specialist to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Greater Atlantic Regional Field Office (GARFO), Habitat and Ecosystem Services Division (HESD), which is responsible for regional coordination of the environmental review of offshore wind project plans. The Division also conducts essential fish habitat (EFH) consultations as required by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA) for offshore wind and other federal projects.
This position is concerned with regulatory and analytical processes, rather than with field research. This position is full-time as an Azura employee, not as a federal contractor.
The Environmental Specialist will take responsibility for these tasks:
- Provide assistance to HESD’s offshore wind coordinator to track tasks and milestones for the various actions required in the environmental review of offshore wind projects
- Develop letters of concurrence, assist with sections of EFH consultations, technical comment letters, and literature reviews
- Respond to requests for information from action agencies such as the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and assist in providing technical assistance
- Review and prepare comments on Environmental Impact Statements, monitoring plans, survey activities, environmental assessments, and other documents prepared in association with environmental reviews of offshore wind energy projects
- Assist the regional wind team fisheries lead in the review and comment of socio-economic and fishery impact analyses of offshore wind projects
Place of Performance
- Work can be remote or on site at the GARFO in Gloucester, MA
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance and life and disability insurance. You will be eligible for a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match and will receive paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and federal holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Environmental Science, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying the requirements of the MSA, especially those related to essential fish habitat, as well as the National Environmental Policy Act and other applicable statutes and policies
- Work experience in the review and development of environmental impact statements, EFH assessments, or similar reviews of the impact of actions on the marine environment
- Experience assessing the impacts of Federal, state, or private actions on marine species, including fishery resources, fishing communities, coastal and marine ecosystems and habitats, and preparing written reports on those impacts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, and organization skills
- Ability to work independently, and to meet appropriate project milestones
- U.S. citizenship and presence and ability to comply with EO 14042
How to Apply
- Prepare a single PDF document that includes:
- A 1-page cover letter that specifies the position to which you are applying; your earliest available start date; and your level of knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience as they pertain to the key responsibilities and desired strengths of this position
- A resume (no more than 3 pages) targeted specifically towards the duties and qualifications of this position
- Phone and email contact information for 2 to 4 professional references who can provide a knowledgeable assessment of your job-specific qualifications
- Name the PDF in the format of Lastname‐Firstname_Application_OSW Env Specialist-HESD
- Send the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “OSW Env Specialist-HESD” in the subject line
- Please email email@example.com with questions
Azura Consulting LLC is an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business specializing in protected species conservation, management, and research.
Azura Consulting LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org